Sunday, January 24, 2016

January 2016 End of Month Report

LOOK WHAT I FOUND!

A BRAND NEW JANOME TREADLE SEWING MACHINE!

Apparently they have been around for many years. No, I haven't bought one, yet. I do have a old treadle machine. I thought this one was just neat. It has good reviews on amazon. I first saw this at a quilt store about 90 minutes from me and they wanted almost $600 for it. Online you can get one for $290.

For the first finish in 2016 I used the scraps from the backing of this quilt.  I cut as many squares as I could then went looking for a pattern to make this a extra large lap quilt. Finished size is about 72x84.



The teal and the reddish orange match the snowmen's hats and scarfs almost perfectly.



I love making quilts for Seth. He is 24 and has Autism. His favorite color is red, same as mine. Every time I send him a new quilt his mom tries to buy it from him. She even offered him a new video game he wanted and he said no! Gotta love a guy who loves your quilts so much. He is 6'2", so it had to be extra big for him to be able to wrap up in while he is on the couch.

Next is a quilt for Ronald McDonald's House. 




The big blocks are 15 inches. Here is the fabric I used for the big blocks...so life like. The pattern is the "Big E-Z". And E-Z it is!



And zebra print for the backing...




I needed a baby quilt in a hurry and made these two in about three hours each.
This one has the sweetest butterflies.


Close up of the fabric used - more butterflies

Here is a QOV-
 I was given some QOV type fat quarters. I cut them into charms and made this quilt.I chose to just sew blocks together and if two of the same fabric were next to each other it was okay. I wanted it to be totally scrappy. Karen is the one who showed me a picture of this quilt.


So far so good!

Linking to JudyL  and Michelle's baby quilts - A Quilter Reader's Garden

 
Fabric usage  2016 ~
fabric in YTD ~ 
fabric out YTD ~ 38.77
used YTD ~ 38.77

Quilts Finished ~ 5 ~ each quilt will only be counted in one category
QOV ~ 1
RMH ~ 1
UFO ~ 
New ~ 3

17 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Wow, you've been busy! So many great quilts. I love that animal print, and keeping it in big pieces was perfect!

Karen said...

You have been very busy sewing this month. Lots of lovely quilts. You have a good start on your yearly goals. You used a great pattern for the animal prints.

Libby in TN said...

You've made lots of progress in the new year. Sometimes the simpler patterns are the best.

Shannon said...

Wow! That big EZ quilt is so cool! Perfect for your fabric too. And those baby quilts are so cute! All of your quilts are great. You do nice work!

Anonymous said...

great progress! Great job!

WyoPat said...

I'm totally in awe--you get so many quilts made!

Laura said...

I love the Big E-Z quit! I've never seen that pattern before.

Angie in SoCal said...

Five quilts in four weeks? WOW. And love all of them. My fav is the QOV one. That's a great and easy pattern. Thanks for sharing and linking to WIPs Be Gone.

Quiltsmiles said...

DeeDee, What lovely and beautiful quilts you have done. That cat and zebra printed fabric looks almost three dimensional in that Big EZ pattern setting (which I love that pattern too BTW!)

Well done and will be watching to see what's next.

dianneo said...

Where can I find the pattern for the zebra quilt? That is a really neat pattern. Great use of the fabrics.

Marti said...

I didn't know they still made treadle machines either, or ones with a belt to a motor. $600 is more than I would pay for one too.

You've got some great quilts there. I love that you could put those two together so quickly. I really like your QOV.

Beth in MN said...

What a lot of good finishes for the beginning of the year. Keep up the good work. I didn't know that treadle sewing machines were still manufactured. What a surprise.
Hugs

Kate said...

Wow, you've been really productive! Love that wild life fabric. You used it to good effect in the quilt.

Anonymous said...

Some wonderful quilts for a lot of good purposes. Your information about the treadle sent me off on a tour of the internet. If I had an old base, I would definitely considering buying one of these, but I can't seem to find a source for new table/bases, like the one it's pictured in. Interesting, anyway. Wouldn't our great-grandmothers have been excited by all that one can do?

Laura said...

You have accomplished a lot! I really like the animal quilt.

Anonymous said...

So ... whatcha been up to lately? Long time, no post. I thought I got disconnected. =)

Denise :) said...

Hey lady...just checking in to see how you're doing? Life must be keeping you VERY busy! I hope this finds you well. Hugs! :)