Sunday, March 9, 2014

House Progress - Binding Quilts - Stash Report #10



LOOK - LOOK - LOOK -
After waiting almost two months for a few warm days and nights in  a row, with no rain or snow, the floor of the basement finally got poured and construction will begin sometime next week! So exciting. We will be searching for the perfect front door and garage doors this weekend.

Here is the main level plan - we have reversed the plans....
Basement (Optional) of The Midland - House Plan Number 371
We don't need a dining room and a eat in kitchen. We are putting up a wall between the foyer and dining room, Mother will have her bedroom in the dining room and after that it will become my quilting room. Everything we need will be on one level.
and here is the second floor - 
Second Floor Plan of The Midland - House Plan Number 371
We are putting a floor  in the area that is open to the living room below...My long arm will go in the bonus room.  There will be a few other minor changes.

This week's baby quilt is smaller than usual - finishes at 33 inches square.  Here is the link for the pattern information http://deedeequilts.blogspot.com/2014/03/baby-quilt-13.html. Quilts that are 40 x 40 or smaller I am calling a baby quilt.


I bind all my quilts on my Bernina 1130. I sew the binding (cut at 2 1/4 inches) to the back of the quilt first, then pull the binding over to the front to stitch down.
I use built in stitch #3 - it is a squiggly line. When I used a straight stitch I found it hard to keep it right on the edge of the binding. This stitch holds down the binding perfectly for me.
Both the stitch length and width are set at 2.

This quilt is going to RMH. This one is made with 5 inch squares. The pattern is Daybreak by Villa Rosa Designs.
I really like the look of stripe bindings.

No Tula Pink blocks this week.

Kevin The Quilter is having a QOV block drive. This is the quick and simple block/quilt Kevin is going to be making. This picture is from Kevin The Quilter's blog.

I sent him these 60 blocks.

 He is using 30 blocks per quilt. And because I get to make the rules about my fabric usage, I am going to cross off these 60 blocks as two QOV! But, I am not going to count them as finished quilts.

I bought 2 yards of camera fabric to make my son 2 pillowcases. I wasn't sure how much fabric to purchase because of the direction of the cameras.
Usually the pillowcases I make have a seam along one side and the bottom, these have a seam on each side. I used the burrito pillow case instructions, had to make some modifications and it still worked out wonderfully.

He does photo shoots on the weekends. Recently he had a session with a small record company in Nashville and took pictures for a album cover. Just thought he would enjoy getting a surprise package in the mail from mom! The cameras are too big for I Spy blocks so the extra fabric I am sending to his wife and maybe she can turn it into bags for some of his camera accessories.

Went back through my numbers and realized that I added incorrectly and I have made the correct adjustments. I was off by 8 additional yards used.

Linking up to Patchworktimes....

Added this week - 2 yard
Added YTD - 20.12 yards
Used this week - 17.66 yards
Used YTD - 195.68 yards
Net Used - 176.56 yards 
fabric not counted until quilt is 100% finished

Quilts finished in 2014 - 26

UFO - Jan - Feb - Mar - Apr - May - June - July - Aug - Sept - Oct - Nov - Dec
QOV - Jan - Feb - Mar - Apr - May - June - July - Aug - Sept - Oct - Nov - Dec
RMH - Jan - Feb - Mar - Apr - May - June - July - Aug - Sept - Oct - Nov - Dec
Baby Quilts - 13 of 52 quilts 
Fat Quarter Shop - 4 out of 24 blocks 
Tula Pink - 89 of 120 blocks - making 20 additional blocks

12 comments:

Kathie said...

Congrats on a good start on the house, how exciting. I love our house but so wish we had a master bedroom on the main floor as my knees get older and more achy.

Love all your projects and I bet your son will love the pillow cases.

Have a wonderful week.

Shannon said...

What's going in the basement if you're quilting machine is going upstairs? I bet you're getting excited!

Libby in TN said...

Looking good!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

You have some great projects going! Congratulations on the house - how exciting!

Kate said...

Love the camera pillow cases, very fun and functional. Great job on the QOV blocks. Those are still on my to list.

Dar said...

Great finishes this week. I know your son will love his "mom-made" pillowcases and that was the perfect fabric for them.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Love that amera fabric! A great find there. A start on the house is exciting! I just can't believe you are alreay nearly 200 yards down by March. I thought I was doing well with my 50 yards!

Donna said...

The camera fabric is very cool. Never saw anything like it.

Karen said...

Hooray! The house is progressing. As normal your quilts are beautiful.

Denise :) said...

Your house plans look fabulous!! Way to go and YAY!! :)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yay for your new house!! LOVE the pillowcases with the cameras!! And way to go on the Blocks for Kevin!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yay for your new house!! LOVE the pillowcases with the cameras!! And way to go on the Blocks for Kevin!!