Sunday, December 1, 2013

Project Linus Quilts / Stash Report

When I make donation quilts I always finish them - quilting and binding. I got a call from Project Linus and they needed some tops so they could tie them on their next sew day, luckily I had a stack of panels waiting to be made into tops. I also had five pieced tops waiting to be quilted that went to PJ.

The first four are panels with side borders -

This next quilt I got last year as a kit from Hancocks of Paducah. I do remember that I thought the directions were a bit confusing, just can't remember what it was that had me stumped.

I spy panels with side borders. I bought this fabric for $1 a yard 3-4 years ago. I had enough to make 8 of these tops. I just let the fabric sit until I decided to add a 1 inch strip on each side in a primary color and then a black and white stripe fabric that matches the black and white stripe at the top and bottom of the panel. Easy way to finish off the quilt top.


Another kit from Hancock's. I like this one better than the other and I had no problems at all with the pattern. Love sewing with Batiks.
Next quilt is made from 5 inch I Spy squares. I got the idea for this quilt from "made by Rae". Here is the link - 


Great pattern if you need a a super fast and easy quilt.
Next, I can't remember on which blog I saw this quilt. I ordered the book and while waiting for it to arrive made the top.
I also made a yellow version of this quilt. Made with 5 inch I Spy blocks. Learned that I should have used a busy non-directional piece of fabric for the framed blocks, as some of the designs are now sitting  cockeyed.

I made this quilt for my friend's husband who is in the hospital for a extended stay, hope it brightens up his room and reminds him that we love him.
It is from Kim's Bracket Scrap Basket Surprises book and is call Scrap-Basket Blues. Pretty easy quilt, cut and pieced in one day, quilted and mailed the next. I used one fabric for the back ground.

My granddaughter wanted to make a quilt for her cousin for Christmas and picked the pattern 
"The Big EZ" by Bloom Creek
We went to JoAnns and she picked out all the fabric, it has bears, wolves and eagles on it. She is getting so much better at her 1/4 in seams. She patiently watched while I cut out the pieces and stated that now that she is 13 she should be cutting out the pieces. Next time she can, after I buy her a cutting glove!
She pieced the top in one day, it is huge - 63x79 and most of the pieces are big so it went together quickly. She quilted and bound it the next day. I am only adding 1 yard of left over fabric from this quilt to my report.


Bought YTD - 47 yards (paid for 41 yards in 2012 - it arrived in 2013 so I counted it for this year) actually only purchased 6 yards this year)
Used - 281.04 yards
Total YTD - 234.04

Hoping to get some bed quilts finished by the end of the year and that will really help my numbers.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Dee Dee!!! You have been a very busy little girl :*) Love all your finishes - and for such GREAT causes too! Your granddaughter made a wonderful quilt - Isn't it fun when they begin to love quilting too? I made a quilt from that pattern for my daughter in blues and purples. I had to Pin a couple of your quilts - great block ideas :*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a line-up of quilts for such worthy causes. Love the two batik ones from Hancock of P kits. They're so colorful. You've really de-stash with over 200 yards out - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dee Dee. Your stats are awesome! Enjoyed your Project Linus Plus Parade. Your Granddaughter has a great teacher... Batiks are great I'll agree. Don't try to use them too much for applique unless you have a strong callus... Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dee Dee, Your numbers are so fantastic!! Think I may need to borrow the idea of the quilt with the 5 inch I Spy blocks to make some fast quilts. The kits from Hancocks are so pretty and they are ones I had almost bought but did manage to resist. Batiks are great to sew with. Hugs

    ReplyDelete