Sunday, January 20, 2013

January 20, 2013 Stash Report

How do you decide what quilt to work on or start? I wake up each morning thinking something like "today I want to make an I Spy quilt". Then I look for a pattern and get started. Some days I decide that I want to use a certain fabric, pattern, make a QOV, work on a older quilt, etc...

This day I decided I wanted to make an I Spy quilt from a pattern I have never used before. I found "Fine Print" by Crazy Old Ladies (2009) and decided it was the perfect union.


The pattern called for 16 rows of various sizes of squares, I ran out of different fabrics so my quilt is only 15 rows. I like how the prints go from small to large. It took me longer to cut out the fabrics than to piece the top. It finished at 48x64 before washing. This quilt will be going to Ronald's House. The binding is black with multi colored dots. I didn't use any picture twice, had fabrics I was able to cut numerous pictures from, like 4 different dogs from the same fabric.

This next quilt came about when I woke up thinking I wanted to make a quilt using this blue fabric. This quilt's pattern is called Peppermint Sticks. It is from the book "Spring Cleaning" by Atkinson Designs.
The blue fabric actually has little pink flowers on it.  Great pattern to use up a lot of bits of fabric. Measured 52x66 before washing. It is going to Sarah's Church's Ministry. The binding is pink and white stripes. The blue was left over from a backing. I had some bits of pinks and cut up some fat quarters for the rest.

I kinda want to join the quilt a long at Open Gate Quilts. I have the fabric picked out and I even picked the fabrics for the first blocks. I want to make it to fit our bed so I will need 49 blocks - four of each pattern + one. I guess I am trying to talk myself out of making the quilt, must be working as I haven't made any blocks yet.

I tossed all the ads from Joann's, the catalogs from Keepsake Quilting, Hancock's and Connecting Thread into the trash without even looking at them - doing good with that goal - still have 49 weeks to go - hope to keep it up.

Used since last post - 12.88
Used YTD - 30.36

Bought last year came this year - 41 - should have counted this in last years totals
Bought this year - 0
Bought YTD - 41

Used YTD -  10.64 in the red -   another couple of weeks I should be in the black again....

Quilts finished in 2013 - 4

Visit Judy's blog to see what other quilters are up to......

Goals for 2013

1) I am planning on staying out of quilt shops - there is not one thing I need. No patterns, no thread, no batting, no fabric, no rotary blades, no rulers, no gadgets, nothing. If I don't have it then I do not need it. There isn't any reason for me to visit a shop in town or online. I guesstimated how much fabric I have and I will never come close to using it all. The folks who get my quilts don't know if the fabric is brand new or 6 years old, they only know that someone out there in the world cares enough about them to make them a quilt. I will be unsubscribing to all emails from quilt stores, if I don't see it I won't be tempted.

2) Make 12 QOV

3) Make 12 quilts for Ronald's House
1 - 2
4) Finish 5 quilts that I have already started

5) Make 5 quilts for Margaret's Hope Chest

6) Learn to paper piece

Other finished quilts
1- 2

4 comments:

Sara said...

You're on a roll. At this rate, you'll have met your goals by June!

Beth in MN said...

I like your Peppermint Stick and good job on the Eye Spy. It is amazing how much we can accomplish if we stay focused. Focused!! What is that? I have a horrible time staying focused until a project is complete.
Good going --
Beth in MN

Deanna said...

Great I-spy quilt! The layout is wonderful.

Teresa in Music City said...

Cute, cute, cute little I Spy quilt!!!