Sunday, January 27, 2013

January 27, 2013 Stash Report


These past 12 months we have lost too many family members - 

Feb. - we lost our 5 year old Irish Wolfhound, Riley, she just didn't wake up one morning
April  - we lost my BIL, Max, to cancer
June -   we lost my sister, Margaret, to cancer, she fought so hard
July - we lost our cat, Harry, to kidney failure, we only had him for 3 weeks. We inherited him from my sister, she didn't realize that he was sick as she was fighting for her own life
August - we lost our 8 year old Irish Wolfhound, Dixie, to cancer
Jan 2013  - we lost our  14 year old Welsh Terrier, Paddy, to cancer
My favorite cousin, Ray, is losing his battle with cancer - we are just waiting for the phone call.....

Sometimes life just sucks......

I cry every time the Iams (dog food) commercial comes on that features Rocky (he is an Irish Wolfhound) and his mom. Irish Wolfhounds are giant lap dogs, so loving and gentle, but no doubt about it, they would protect you 'til their last breath. Very loyal companions. Rocky looks just like our Riley. Did you know that Irish Wolfhounds have hair, not fur. These are the perfect dogs for those who have allergies, they are hypoallergenic. My DIL and two grandgirls are highly allergic to all dogs and cat, but had no problems when around our Wolfhounds.

See the commercial on you tube  



I made this QOV and it is going to Alycia.

The pattern is by Carrie Nelson - "Blue Skies". This one was fun to make. It is about 65x81.  It would also make a fun kids quilt. I ran out of the background fabric (beige with tiny red stars) so I decided to carry the cornerstones out to the edge of the quilt. I really like this quilt. The binding is a red, white and blue stripe.


I have been successful on  goal #1 so far this year. I wasn't even tempted to drive by the quilt shop to see their new window display!


Used since last post - 9.92
Used YTD - 40.28

Bought last year came this year - 41 - should have counted this in last years totals
Bought this year - 0
Bought YTD - 41

Used YTD -  0.72 in the red -   another  week I should be in the black again....

Quilts finished in 2013 - 5

Goals for 2013

1) I am planning on staying out of quilt shops - there is not one thing I need. No patterns, no thread, no batting, no fabric, no rotary blades, no rulers, no gadgets, nothing. If I don't have it then I do not need it. There isn't any reason for me to visit a shop in town or online. I guesstimated how much fabric I have and I will never come close to using it all. The folks who get my quilts don't know if the fabric is brand new or 6 years old, they only know that someone out there in the world cares enough about them to make them a quilt. I will be unsubscribing to all emails from quilt stores, if I don't see it I won't be tempted.

2) Make 12 QOV
1 - 
3) Make 12 quilts for Ronald's House
1 - 2
4) Finish 5 quilts that I have already started

6) Learn to paper piece

Other finished quilts
1- 2

7 comments:

WyoPat said...

Thank you for your work on the QOVs--we owe our military so much!

Julie in GA said...

Love your Quilt of Valor! Your yardage used so far this year is very impressive, and I know you will be back in the black very soon.
So sorry for your many losses in the past year.

Harriett said...

I'm sorry for your losses this past year. I admire your goals for this coming year.
Love the Quilt of Valor you finished.

Melanie said...

What a rough year for you, I'm so sorry you are going through such sad times. I think it really speaks to your character that you put so much effort into being charitable even in the midst of all these losses.

Ann said...

I am so sorry for your recent losses, and filled with admiration that you continue to make so many beautiful things to comfort others who are facing difficult times.

Jill said...

I am so sorry for all your losses. I pray that 2013 will be an easier year for you and your family. Your QOV is awesome. It was very clever to bring the cornerstones out to the edge of the quilt. I never would have guessed you made that design decision out of necessity! When you make quilts for "Ronald's House," is that the Ronald McDonald House? I didn't know they collect quilts. A family from my church stayed at one several times while their baby was hospitalized this past year.

Denise :) said...

Dee Dee, I'm so sorry you had such a year of loss in 2012. It's hard, isn't it? Praying that 2013 will hold many joyful things for you!! Your goals for 2013 are great. I, too, unsubscribed from all the quilt shops and newsletters, etc., for the same reason. I can't (won't) say that I won't buy nothing ... but if I do it will be for a specific purpose and not just 'because I liked it'. I did too much of that in 2012 and it just leads to too much excess! :)