Sunday, January 19, 2014

Stash Report #3

You can read more about this week's baby quilt here...


Our woods are filled with Cardinals - so beautiful.

I went to the bank and drove around the corner to go to the quilt store and discovered that it has closed. I didn't visit the shop in 2013 and in 2012 I learned that the owner had cancer. She started her shop in a tiny space with less than 40 bolts of fabric, she moved twice, added more fabric, had classes and bought a long arm. The sign on the door  - "thanks for 10 great years".

Another UFO is finished.

I had pieced these stacked coin blocks years ago. Thought about what I could do with them and decided they would make a great quilt to keep in the car. I added some sashing and the border is from left over backing fabric.

I used some really cheap muslin for the foundation for the blocks. I didn't have to tear away any paper, plus it added another layer of warmth to the quilt.

I am so enjoying making these blocks from Tula Pink's book.

I will probably use this layout for my quilt -

Linking with Judy's Stash Busting Reports....

Added this week - 0 yards
Added YTD - 10 yards
Used this week - 15.83 yards
Used YTD - 50.63 yards
Net Used - 40.63 yards
fabric not counted until quilt is 100% finished

Quilts finished in 2014 - 7

UFO - Jan - Feb - Mar - Apr - May - June - July - Aug - Sept - Oct - Nov - Dec
QOV - Jan - Feb - Mar - Apr - May - June - July - Aug - Sept - Oct - Nov - Dec
RMH - Jan - Feb - Mar - Apr - May - June - July - Aug - Sept - Oct - Nov - Dec
Baby Quilts - 3 of 52 quilts 
Rainbow (Angela)/Block (Judy) Challenge - 0 out of 12 months 
Fat Quarter Shop - 0 out of 12 blocks 
Tula Pink - 28 of 100 blocks

8 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Great use for the stacked coins. My mom used old sheets as foundation for crazy quilts. No paper to tear away! I've been thinking about giving Tula Pink a try ....

Denise :) said...

You are just *busting* through that stash! Way to go! I'm sorry to hear about your local quilt shop -- for one reason or another, it's happening more and more. We lost one just last month. It's so sad. On a happier note, your cardinal looks very dapper! Those are my favorite birds, too -- especially during the starkness of winter. They're a *pop* of color and they make me smile! :)

Cheryl said...

I love the stacked coins, the layout is eye catching. Look at your numbers climb!! I don't count my fabric out until the quilt is fully completed, too....I fear once I subtract it from the stash there is no push to finish, so the last stitch is in before I claim the yardage. Can't wait to see the Tula Pink quilt.

WyoPat said...

Oh, what a beautiful bird! We have stellar jays here. I was being severely scolded by one this summer while I was sitting outside--when he forgot I was sitting there, his voice changed as he was talking to his true love. I know those soft sounds were whispered love words meant for his mate!

Great looking stacked coins--gives me an idea for mine! Fantastic numbers--you get so much done.

Kathie said...

Wow you are doing great on all your projects!! What nice things you have in progress.

Kate said...

Wow, that's quite a week! The baby quilt looks great and so does your coin quilt. Those Tula's blocks are fun. You are on your way to what looks to be a great year of stash busting.

Deanna said...

Projects looking good. Always sad to lose a quilt shop.

Jennifer said...

Sad to hear about the quilt shop closing. Boy, you have a lot going on - resulting in great numbers!